Student Profile – Lesvi Garcia

Student Profile: Lesvi Garcia.

From Guatemala to the United States Lesvi Garcia. Who exactly is Lesvi Garcia? She is a Junior here at Wyoming High School. She has been here since 9th grade. She came from Guatemala when she was 15 years old. Her life had a big change. She needed to learn a new language. “I’m not going to say it was easy because I’m still learning,” said Lesvi Garcia. “But now I see the difference between when I arrived and where I am now,” she said. “I could say it is a big difference in my English skill. It has been difficult but I will not give up until I speak it fluently.”
She also mentioned that speaking 2 languages is good, but at the same time it isn’t. “Sometimes I felt weird because when I was/am going to answer a question I thought it in Spanish and I said it in English and sometimes the opposite I thought it in English and I said it in Spanish, she expressed. “I feel proud and blessed to know 2 languages and in the future, I would like to learn another language.”
She went on to explain her favorite thing to do. “My favorite thing to do is cooking. I am not good at it because sometimes what I make is not as good as I thought it would be, but sometimes it tastes so good, she said. “I like to decorate and make cakes and flans.”
Sometimes people who are from other places are afraid to do certain things because they don’t know how to do them or how to say them and they are afraid of being made fun of. “I would change my shyness for confidence because sometimes I feel insecure and more when I am talking in public, that is one thing, ” she commented. “Another thing that I would like to change is my impatience because I’m very impatient. I get desperate from waiting for people so much.”
Lesvi Garcia likes to be active, so she is doing sports at her school and she likes doing them. “Now I am playing basketball. I love playing basketball but sometimes it is difficult to understand the rules because of my language but I just do my best,” she affirms. “In spring I will do track. I love doing those sports. It keeps me busy and it helps me a lot to improve my English.”
Also she said something about America that not all people are allowed to experience. “I like America because I have the privilege of traveling to this country and have a lot of opportunities not only for me but also for my family and all those people who come to this country.”