Dear Sophomore: A Senior’s Letter

Dear Sophomore…

Welcome to Wyoming High School, kid. You are officially a high school student. By the time you read this, I will have graduated and be well on my way into college. I remember being in your shoes, though, like it was yesterday. So, as a parting farewell, there are some little pieces of wisdom from me to you:

All the hallways feel like a maze now, but before you know it, you could walk to class with your eyes closed.

People will tell you these are the best years of your life. Don’t listen to them. It will get so much better.

Don’t be a jerk. You’re going to spend three years with these people. You don’t have to like them, but be decent. It’ll make life a lot easier.

Invest in a planner to keep track of assignments. Prioritize accordingly.

If you don’t need the unisex bathroom, please don’t use it. It’s a great resource for transgender students and students with disabilities. There are only a couple available, please help make sure they are available for those who need them.

Doyle is always right about snow days.

For the love of all that is holy, just do the assigned reading. Sparknotes isn’t always going to be helpful and you might actually like the book if you give it a chance.

Say hello to your teachers. They talk to hundreds of students a day. Be one who talks back.

That heartbreak won’t kill you, even if it feels like it will. And trust me, it feels like it will.

Don’t act too cool to get excited at pep rallies. Just have fun, you’ll be bored out of your mind if you don’t.

Take a moment to appreciate when you’re laughing so hard you can’t breathe in the middle of class.

If you get the chance, ask Mr. Mast about his old clock. Trust me.

Always say please and thank you to the lunch ladies. They might be the kindest people you’ll meet your entire time in high school.

It’s better to take a mental health day than to spend weeks being miserable.

Learn the school fight song.

Friends will come and go. Greet new ones with open arms and let old ones go without resentment.

If someone lets you borrow a pencil, remember to give it back. It might seem small, but it shows basic respect.

Mrs. Johnston always has coffee in her room… but you didn’t hear that from me.

Do whatever you have to do to take Personal Finance your senior year. If you take anything from this article, please take that.

That failed test won’t kill your grade, but those five missing assignments sure will.

Make sure your Chromebook is always charged. Plug it in as soon as you get home and put it in your backpack before bed.

Teachers do notice when you’re trying your best. Consequently, they also notice if you don’t put effort into your work. This will be a difference.

Take the Alpha Wolf Voting seriously. It’s so amazing to see someone win who truly deserves it.

And maybe I’m biased on this one, but if you aren’t sure what elective you want to take, join journalism.Yeah, the workload can be a lot, but it’s a great opportunity and you’ll meet some awesome people.

Here’s to the next three years. Make ‘em count.

Sincerely,
A Senior