Kamala Harris is Making History

Kamala Harris is Making History
Thug. Stealer. Loud. Uneducated. Dirty. That’s what they call Black women in the 21st century. A young little Black girl in America would have never imagined seeing a woman who looks like her in the U.S government, plastered on screens as a role model, as a vice president. It shows hope—progression into a brighter future for all Americans, not just for those considered the “superior race.”
Kamala Harris is the second African American, and first South-Asian American to serve in the United States Senate. She is the very first women Vice President, in addition to that, she is also the first woman of color that has been elected as Vice President.
Last year, history was made in the United States. In the 2020 election, Kamala Harris and Joe Biden ran against Donald Trump and Mike Pence. The competition between the two duos was extremely tense with the highest voter turnout recorded in history. Initially, Trump took the lead but Biden succeeded him, making it a very close race. In the end, Biden took the lead and together, he and Kamala would begin making history.
How do Wyoming High School students feel about the new Vice President and her role as the first second African American and first South-Asian American in the U.S Senate as well as a woman figure? Here are some of their responses.
Our question to a student very passionate about Black Lives Matter was how they felt about the newly Black representation in the government.
“I feel good about it. Considering how White people are always seen as heroes and you see them as President and on the supreme court, you never really see people of color like me up there so it’s really nice to see that the world is changing,” Kenyalie McIntosh said. “Kamala Harris inspires young black women like me to do great things in the world.” McIntosh hints that she never saw Black people casted as the ones achieving success in her early years as a child. To see a Black person as Vice President seems almost mind boggling because a person of color sitting in such a high position would have never occurred 50 years ago.
I asked other students how they felt about this shift versus previous years in history. Aracely Pablo answers, “I feel like it’s definitely a change for our government because when you think of Vice Presidents or Presidents, a lot of people think W.A.S.P. or White anglo saxon protestants.” Despite this being some sort of unsaid pattern, Pablo shows hope for the future because she says, “But I feel like Kamala Harris being the Vice president is a positive change and can promote more people of color getting higher positions like she did.”
Students had a lot of input about her being a woman in the position that she is in. “It’s something different,” Jennifer Hernandez says. “It’s definitely positive. We went from our previous president to now this, so it’s more empowering for young women because she is a woman of color, so I feel like after that experience with the old president and with her coming in, I think it’s a shed of light, you know?”
She had also added another note regarding how the timeframe of this coming to be relates to the events that have happened this past year. Hernandez says, “For her to come into office after the Black Lives Matter movement and stuff like that is just another step forward for African Americans and how they’re treated.”
Another student agreed with Jennifer’s response about women empowerment. Sidney Gelock says, “I feel good about it because it sets up the idea that women can do anything and don’t have to just expect because all men were vice presidents that that was it. Hopefully, this will help more women go after it, so I think that’s motivating and empowering to women.”
Tara agrees. With the lack of rights given to women in the past, we’ve had to come a far way to even get close to the same playing field as men. To this very day, remarks are still targeted at women on how they are inadequate and should stick to “lady-like” activities. Tara says, “It is a great step up for women especially with how the last president in almost every tweet would comment on how women were bad at many things. He was so disrespectful to so many women that this is actually a step up for [them]. Because women can be in power and the way we have our new president supporting that there is a woman in power is even better.”
With the current state of the world, though times have changed, it seems that Black voices are still not being voiced to the public. Whether it is the media, job opportunities, or even our own government. For a government that represents “the people,” how many of those people are truly considered people? To be a minority, to be Black in America, is a discussion of many eras in time. How many of these stories have gone unheard? How many times do we have to go backwards in order to go forward? Well, this is the start of something new. Something that inspires hope for the unheard ones. A change that should have come sooner, but should be acknowledged that it is here now. The time is now for people of color to get the opportunities they were once denied. Though they have been set back, pushed into the background, they are resilient and they are surpassing these past generations.