Key Club

Back to Article
Back to Article

Key Club

Official Key Club Banner in Wyoming High School.

Camila Maldonado Pena

Camila Maldonado Pena

Camila Maldonado Pena

Are you looking for some volunteer work? Do you want to give back to your community? If you said yes to either of those questions, Key club is the club for you! Mr. Lorenz and Mrs.Johnston are the supervisors of the club and organizes some of the events as well. This student-led organization has five officer positions you can run for: President, Secretary, Treasurer, Webmaster, and a Chairman for grades 10 and up. All you do is you run for the position, answer questions on why you should get picked, and then the club votes whether you or someone else should be picked to be that position.
Key Club prioritizes community service however they can. Last year the first task the club took was to customize some little paper bags to give to kids, so they can put some food in them, partnering with Kids Food Basket. There was also a beach cleanup that was actually surprisingly fun and very helpful for the environment. They partake in the blood drive as well which is definitely very important because they are donating blood to people that really need it. There are numerous other events that they do but it would take up too much room in this article.
Key Club holds meetings every other Thursday. This year’s president of Key Club is Julyssa Barajas. She has the most important role because she is the president which by the name is obvious that it’s important and she is also in the 12th grade. The vice president is Alex Guzman, 12th grader. The secretary of Key Club is Andy Vo who is currently a junior. The Treasurer in Key Club is Eduardo Mora-Zavala, who is a senior. The webmaster is Brandon Walker who is, of course, a senior.
Key Club is an important club that connects our school to the community. It can also benefit you. Club members who log enough volunteer hours get a cord at graduation. Not only that but since it’s volunteer work you can put this on your resume or on your job application which will maybe increase your chance of getting considered a perfect fit for the job. It also depends on what your job requires to be considered as well. I still think that this club is a very good club that some great people decided to create and lead. Most importantly, volunteering for your community brings heart-warming emotions to yourself, motivating you to give more.