Do Not Miss Out on Project Lit

Back to Article
Back to Article

Do Not Miss Out on Project Lit

Books are lit!

Books are lit!

Books are lit!

Books are lit!

Camila Maldonado Pena, Contributing Writer

Pick up a book and find an adventure. Project Lit is a new chapter in Wyoming, which brings books to students 7 through 12th grade. Ms.Schneider, Ms. Tran, and Ms.Vandergalien brought this club to Wyoming because they wanted to expand their love of literature from the high school to the jr. high. As of now, Lit is only for 7- 12th graders but their summer service project will provide books for all grade levels (K-12). “ I want to help get books into the hands of our students and our community members,” says Ms. VanderGalien.
If you want to join WPS Lit you can either seek out an ambassador for information or Mrs. Schneider and Ms.Tran at the high school or Mrs. VanderGalien at the Junior High. Ambassadors are students who love to read books and are easy to go up to. They organize the program and it’s just getting off the ground. There are also posters hung up around the school. They have even made bookmarks with their social media contact that can be found in the Media Centers for both schools.
The three teachers are facilitators, training students to run this program. Their goal for the future is to make Lit a student-led chapter. They sent out a survey to all the ambassadors of the high school and the jr. high to decide what books they would be giving to students. The 57 Buses and Trevor Noah’s Born a Crime were the two lucky winners for the ambassadors. All books will be culturally admissible books that will be promoting diversity. They picked high-interest books that will open students eyes to things that they are not used to, making them loving reading even more.
Ms.Tran’s goal is to make a place where students can come together to have a book discussion. But it doesn’t stop there. They will also be doing other fun activities. This year they will be having a BBQ. This semester all their doing is launching one event and doing a service project. Advertising and finding other people to join will be their main service projects.
Mrs. Schneider attended a conference where the Lit program was introduced to her. “Her excitement to bring literacy to the community was contagious,” Ms. Tran states, “What better way to read, with food and discussion involved?”
Organization for this charter can be tricky since they are creating one book club for both schools. This will bring a sense of a community between the two schools. They will hold a few meetings after school at the Junior High mostly because the high schoolers get out a bit earlier. Communications on any plans or changes will be communicated through there google classroom.
They are planning to go to local businesses to promote their Lit Program Chapter. They are encouraging participation from students as well as the people from our community who are coming together to help our students. They want to encourage participation because this program will help them “grow and foster literacy in our community.”