One Sport, Two Sports, Bad Sport, No Sports: What Is Kyler Murray Going to Do

Back to Article
Back to Article

Kyler Murray: drafted by the Oakland A´s, but loving for the Oklahoma Sooners.

Nolan Weatherby, Contributing Writer

Do what you love, love what you do. What a simple saying. If only it were that easy for athletes.

Those that choose to play sports in their childhoods truly love the game, that’s why they come back year after year. Sports create lasting friendships, keep people active, and provide entertainment for most people. This list is even more appealing to those who play multiple sports.

But a choice has to be made after high school. Athletes have to commit to one sport if they want to become a professional after college. A hockey player can’t also be on the basketball team. A softball player can’t also play lacrosse. And, a quarterback for the football team can’t also be an outfielder for the baseball team.

Kyler Murray might be the first person in history to prove this mindset wrong.

The most recent Heisman Trophy winner, hailing from Oklahoma, is an outstanding athlete. Murray finished his Junior year with 4361 passing yards and 1001 rushing yards for a total of 54 touchdowns, making the team 4th overall in the NCAA. He has the skills to be a great baseball player as well. The Oakland Athletics believe this, too, and they showed this when he was drafted 9th overall in 2018. Murray has the potential to be a menace to anyone he plays against in either sport due to his speed and arm strength, which is why he became a sensation overnight. Once he also declared for the NFL Draft, then everyone began asking: What sport will Kyler Murray choose?

Even if there hasn’t been an athlete to play two professional sports at the same time, Kyler Murray has some examples that he can look to for inspiration. Some of the greatest athletes in history decided to play more than one sport, and they know how controversial it can be. Murray has the potential to play like Deion Sanders, who is still the only athlete to this day who has played in both a Super Bowl and the World Series. Bo Jackson, who many deem as the greatest athlete of all time, showed the country that his speed as an outfielder could be deadly in the NFL, and Murray has the choice to do the same thing. He just needs the perfect team to choose him in the draft.

71 days. Kyler Murray has less than three months to try and impress a team close enough to Oakland so he can live the dream and play baseball and football at the same time. This won’t be easy. This won’t be fun. But, if all works out for him, Kyler Murray can make history and crush his opponents with the swing of his bat and the spiral of his football.