BPA Helps Students Become Professionals

Back to Article
Back to Article

BPA Helps Students Become Professionals

Yadira Zamora, Contributing Writer

When WHS students attended the regional competition at Davenport University recently, they were not just students, they were professionals.
Gabriela Bello has enjoyed the BPA experience. Being professional means taking on the responsibilities that come along with this huge privilege and opportunity. “If you can’t handle a lot of the jobs then don’t even think about it,” she said. “BPA is a business organization that expects for you to put the work and a lot of effort.”
BPA is an eye opener for those that are interested in the business world. It gets students prepared for how life looks.
This year was Yailine Palomo’s first time in BPA. “ I’ve had Bushen as a teacher for Video Production,” she said. “The program was brought to my attention because od discussions about the events during class. After it was brought to my attention I started to notice that a lot of people are already in the program and lots of those people were my friends.”
The word-of-mouth about BPA had a positive impact on students from listening to others “I took a leap of faith and joined because it was my senior year and I didn’t want to miss out on an opportunity to become closer with my class before graduation,” said Yailine.
Joining BPA looks great on a resume. Mrs.Small advocates for BPA “If you are interested in business or even if you aren’t it is a great opportunity to join,” she said.
Yailine is currently not sure what career pathway she wants to pursue. “Before I joined BPA, I knew that I wanted to major in Studio Art in college,” she said. “I’ve always considered Marketing and Business as a safety net and as a double major.”
Joining BPA gave Yailine a path that was once blind to her. “Business with an art background is probably going to be a career that I’d be good at and would be happy to purse,” she said.
Like everything else in life, there are positives and negatives with BPA. “ A negative thing about BPA is the stressful deadlines,” said Yailine. “They have and the strict rules about dress code and regulation.”
All of the rules matter, especially in competition. “It can be very easy to unintentionally get disqualified for an event due to copyrights or going against the rule that they have in the handbook,” said Yailine.
BPA students have to be very cautious about how they prepare and what they present. It is true how the saying goes: first impressions are important so dressing appropriately is key and the information you present. “A positive about BPA is that it gives you a good idea about how the business world is like and teaches you how to act correctly,” said Yailline.
Using the correct voice tone, how much you fidget etc is taken in very firmly when it comes to BPA. “BPA brings people together and creates relationships,” she said. Having people come together is a great life skill since not many want or learned how to do it. It creates contacts for the future and skills for the future that you can use to your advantage.

Gabriela Bello, a senior at Wyoming High School has also participated in BPA. “ “I was raised by entrepreneurs. I wasn’t very interested in business but it was something I was good at,” she said. “My whole life has been surrounded around the business world, how it works, how bad it was going, how good it was going, finances, this and that so I felt that was kind of a path I had to follow”
BPA has helped many students gain or improve certain skills that can help them in the future. Whether they were doing something business related or not, Gabriela feels that BPA has had a positive impact on her life and will help her in the future. “ BPA has helped me to understand better how the workplace works,” she said. “One of my options for college is Human Resources and one of my events was HR Management and that has helped to have a better look at not only hiring and firing but how really a company works and how it should treat its employees. It has also helped me to be very successful in interviews for jobs.”
BPA is outside of school hours and is taken seriously not only by the students but, also by the teachers. “If you start slacking, Mr. Bushen will make sure you will never hear the end of it,” said Gabby. She hopes to find a job in the future that she enjoys and is passionate about.