This Math Teacher is Ready to Rock On !

+Ms.+Cole%2C+happy+and+ready+to+teach%0A
Back to Article
Back to Article

This Math Teacher is Ready to Rock On !

Ms. Cole, happy and ready to teach

Ms. Cole, happy and ready to teach

Ms. Cole, happy and ready to teach

Ms. Cole, happy and ready to teach

Sidney Gelock and Maddie Masunas, Contributing Writers

Ms. Cole is always prepared to teach her class. She loves helping her students in any way and is to solve any math problem given to her. Seeing students succeed brings joy to her because she knows a lot of kids struggle with math. Spending time with family also gives her joy. Hanging out with her kids can be a really fun part of her day.
When Ms. Cole isn’t busy with work, she enjoys being with her two children. Her oldest child Amy is 37 years old and graduated from Wyoming Park. Her youngest, Collin, is 17 years old and is a senior at Kenowa Hills. When she does get to spend time with them, she enjoys herself. “My kids are really fun to hang out with,” Ms. Cole says.
On her free time, she enjoys various activities. Reading and traveling are some of her favorites. She is also devoted to her yard and loves to work on it in the summer months. “I also spend a lot of time working in my yard in the summer,” she says. These activities keep her occupied in her free time, just like the different activities she was involved in during high school.
Ms. Cole loved to be involved even in high school. She was in choir and kept stats for the wrestling team and cross country team. She admits she was never “very athletic,” but she enjoyed these sports anyways.
Math was an easy class for her and she was the “kid who helped everyone around them.” She believes it “should have been a no-brainer,” that she would end up being a math teacher because of her ability to help others with math problems.
Even though math did come easily to Ms. Cole in high school, she still didn’t know for sure what path she wanted to take. “When I was in high school I debated between nursing and computer science,” she says.
She ended up taking the path of teaching and loved it. “I like to interact with people and I love to help kids get ready to have a great future!” she states. The beginning of her teaching career began at GVSU where she taught for two years. She then applied for a job in Wyoming because she really enjoyed the district. Ms. Cole explains, “I lived in the Wyoming district when I graduated from college and my daughter was a student in the district. I volunteered a lot and I really liked this district so I applied for a job here.”
Her love for the district really shows as this is her 28th year teaching here. She was teaching geometry and different forms of algebra throughout her years at Wyoming. Ms. Cole feels good when students are able to understand what they’re learning. “Math is a really hard subject for a lot of people,” she says, “and I love it when they figure it out!”
Both students and her fellow math teachers enjoy her and her attitude towards things.
Mr. Rusticus, a fellow Algebra 2 teacher to Ms. Cole, explains how they work really well together. “We bounce ideas sometimes back and forth which works well,” he says. Mr. Rusticus can also see the devotion Ms. Cole puts into her work. “I think she works very hard and is always willing to help students. She spends a lot of time after school working with students,” he says. Overall, Mr. Rusticus respects Ms. Cole and enjoys working with her.
Her students feel the same way. “I like having Ms. Cole as a teacher because she takes time to explain everything to make sure we all understand. Some teachers don’t do that,” Alicia Bonk explains.
Some cool quotes that come from Ms. Cole include:
“Here’s the skinny.”
“Here’s the scoop.”
“Frealidoo.”
“Lets rock this house.”
“Ready to rock on?”
“Alright Alright.”