What is a Government Shutdown? And Why are We in Shutdown?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Was taken on the 19th day of the government shutdown. President Donald Trump (center) with Senator John Barrasso,, John Thune, Mitch McConnell, and Vice President. 
Photo Credit: Melina Mara

Was taken on the 19th day of the government shutdown. President Donald Trump (center) with Senator John Barrasso,, John Thune, Mitch McConnell, and Vice President. Photo Credit: Melina Mara

Julyssa Barajas, Contributing Writer

The United States Government has officially in shutdown. Although this is not a frequent item to occur, it turns out many high school students don’t even know what a government shutdown really is.

“The government shutdown means there are no rules,” Helen Gutierrez.

“The government shutdown is when cops won’t be around and people receiving government money won’t receive it,” Aliyah Rivera.

A government shutdown actually is when nonessential offices in government are literally “shutdown,” because of declining the approval of a federal budget for certain issues (mainly a budget issue).

President Donald Trump has made an order to have a government shutdown due to the lack of funds from the Senate for the wall he wants to build on the southern border that the United States shares with Mexico. Trump has labeled this as a national crisis.

Some students are suspicious of the president. “Trump is acting like a child who isn’t getting what he wants so he’s choosing to throw a tantrum,” said Brayden Lee.

Much of President Trump’s argument is that illegal immigrants, whom he called “aliens,” are being brought in by Mexico. And he believes they are not the people who will contribute to the United States in a positive way. “They’re not sending their best. They are bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists,” President Trump stated. He also asks questions such as “How much more American blood must we shed before Congress does its job?”

As of now the there has not been an official date to open the government back up. The shutdown now holds the record for being the longest. When will the government be back up and running is uncertain, but this does not mean there are no police officers. Yet the government is at work, working for solutions to compromise and open the government back up and with President’s Trump’s wall.