Die Lit: A departure into all things catchy

Back to Article
Back to Article

Devin Jones, Contributing Writer

In hip-hop today, a heavy emphasis is placed on catchy choruses and standout ad-libs. Playboi Carti showcases both of these traits, along with many other positive features on his sophomore album Die Lit.

From front to back, Die Lit flies by as you listen to it. All throughout, its repetitive choruses and sticky one-liners make for tracks that don’t feel any longer than one or two minutes, regardless of how long they actually are.

Despite their repetitive nature, none of the tracks on Die Lit overstay their welcome. Carti actually has a solid sense of how a song is supposed to be structured; many of the tracks on this project don’t host any verses that eat up an extreme amount of airtime, or choruses that drag on for way too long.  Every track leaves you wanting more.

Carti’s ability to carry solo tracks is also impressive, given his pedigree as a so-called “mumble rapper”. The solo efforts of many of his peers normally end up sounding unprofessional due to their short length and lack of song structure. However, on Die Lit, longer tracks like “R.I.P” and “FlatBed Freestyle” are just as punchy and sharp as the short-length songs that dominate the Soundcloud charts right now.

Carti’s sophomore effort boasts a lengthy feature list, which consists of both some higher profile names (Nicki Minaj, Chief Keef, and Young Thug) and some more lowkey artists as well (Yung Nudy, Skepta, and Pi’erre Bourne). There wasn’t a misplaced feature in sight: an uncommon trait for any modern rap album, which only helps further differentiate Carti from his contemporaries.

Die Lit debut isn’t perfect by any stretch. In fact, it’s far from it. It was clear by the middle of the album that he was following a clear formula: mumble out a hook over a drugged-out instrumental, find a catchy flow, match it with a simple rhyme scheme, and ad-lib over it all.

Although this project is a lot of fun to listen to, Die Lit is essentially the musical equivalent of watching television. It’s very entertaining, and it’s adept at passing the time, but ultimately, nothing of importance is gained by listening to it. This is do, in large part, to Carti’s lack of lyrical prowess.

At no point on this project does Carti ever say anything worth holding on to, spare a few eccentric quotables and goofy one-liners.

That being said, the hooks on Die Lit are insanely catchy. It’s as though Carti has a sort of sixth sense for writing these earworm refrains that you can’t help but nod your head to. Every single song on this 19 track album(with no interludes) features a chorus that will get stuck in your head.

All in all, Die Lit is a solid debut for mumble rap mainstay Playboi Carti. It’s formulaic structure led to the occasional dip in creativity, but that doesn’t take away from how infectious everything about this project is.

Die Lit is good, plain fun.

7.5/10