Not Everybody is Social

Shaylynn Morris, Contributing Writer

It is hard to talk to people you don’t know, and it can be a little awkward too. Personally, I am a very social person. I talk a lot, and I love talking to new people and getting to know them. I am just that type of person, but not everybody is and these tips may help you to become a more opening and social person.

Everybody is different and some of these tips may not work for you, but you will never know if you don’t try. Here are my tips for you:

• Be yourself. That sounds very corny I know, but it’s the truth. If you want to find real friends you have to be real with them. If you act like yourself, you will have a higher chance of finding friends that are like you and have things in common with you. Those are best friends.
  • Find a social hobby. By this I mean debate, playing sports, theatre, or taking classes that may help you socialize with people. Extracurricular activities are very helpful when it comes to being more social. If sports don’t tickle your fancy then you can explore other options that seem interesting to you.
  • Small talk. Starting small talk with strangers or classmates can lead to great discussion. Being afraid isn’t going to help you find friends, you just have to be out there and want to talk.
  • Speak loud enough. When you speak loud enough for the people, you are talking to is way more interesting. When you speak loud enough for the people, you are talking to is way more interesting.
  • Don’t get overwhelmed. Some people that you will talk to might talk a lot and for someone who is still working on their social skills you might be a little nervous. That is okay, just speak and let whatever is on your mind out.
  • Smile. This personally is hard for me, I am a very nice person but sometimes my daily facial expressions don’t show that. When you see people walk by you in the hallways, just give them a smile and say ‘hi’. That goes to show that you are open for discussion, it’s a very effective way to becoming more social because believe it or nobody wants to talk to a mean looking person.
  • Be a good listener. When you are having a conversation make sure you are listening to the other person. You cannot expect to talk to someone and not listen to what they are saying to you, they would like to speak their mind as well.
  • Pick the right times. The best time to start a conversation isn’t when you’re taking a test in class or when your teacher is talking. The best time to talk is when you have the chance: don’t push anything, just let the right time come to you.
  • Use Humor. Teenagers love talking to people that have a sense of humor, you don’t have to be the next Kevin Hart or Ellen DeGeneres. Just have fun and crack some jokes.

I truly hope these tips helped you and encouraged you to want to talk to more people. It isn’t easy being social but these tips may help. Start a few conversations around the school and if you don’t have anyone to be social around you can definitely catch me in the hallways.