Jumani: Back to the Jungle: Movie Review

Audra Schildhouse, Contributing Editor

Jumani: Back to the Jungle, was a very humorous movie. I laughed throughout the whole film. The plot was very surprising to me, compared to the original Jumanji, which premiered in 1995. Jumanji: Back to the Jungle was directed by Jake Kasdan, and I felt as if  it were aimed more towards the younger generation.

Instead of the board game of Jumanji coming into the real world, the high school students go inside of an old fashioned video game of Jumanji. As the characters go inside of the game, they realize every one of them had changed their appearance; they had turned into the avatars in the game.

Spencer, the nerdy gamer, turned into a muscular fighter (Dwayne Johnson); Fridge, the class football jock turns into an animal expert, (Kevin Hart) who is much shorter than he normally is; Bethany, the most popular girl in school, turns into a male professor (Jack Black); Martha, the mysterious girl, becomes a warrior women (Karen Gillan).

While they try to find ways to leave the game they had found themselves  literally lost in, they come to realization that in order to leave, they must win the game, that is, without losing the three lives they have. Their lives are at stake while they go on many dangerous adventures, trying to survive Jumanji.

I felt as if one of the messages of this movie was to appreciate life, and live it to your fullest potential because you never know what could happen to it. While the characters were in the game, they came across another avatar who had said he had been trapped in the game. To their realization, they find out that he used to live near them, and had gone missing as a boy. A change in attitude for the characters occur as they come to a better understanding for one another and friendships begin to form.

I was very impressed with the actors in this movie. I felt as if they had portrayed their role accurately and did a phenomenal job. While looking at reviews on this movie, I came across “‘Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle’ Woa, a Reboot that isn’t Lame?” written by Gary Thompson, and found “In this context, the Jumanji reboot Welcome to the Jungle is a happy surprise — a movie that turns out to be good (almost clean) fun, and that is much more interested in character and comedy than special effects”, which I thought was spot-on!

I loved this movie, and I would highly recommend this film to anyone. I think it was an overall good remake for the original Jumanji. Both movies differ very much, but I think that is what makes it a good remake; because the director was creative and decided to think up a unique story line.