The Reoccurring Wolf

Jacqueline Velasco, Contributing Writer

As we took a huge loss at Wyoming High School back in November, when our former secretary Christy Holt left, we also got the blessing of receiving a former graduate in which took her place. Tosha Cross, former Golden Hawk’s graduate, swooped in and took the opportunity at hand.

Before switching positions, Tosha was working in our school library. It was her second home. Although the library is not far from the main office, she says, “I do miss working in the media center. I love books and technology. So having a job that I could integrate both of my interests was perfect for me. I also miss seeing the students and staff at the Junior High.” She enjoyed her time in the media center at both the Junior High and High School, however she feels as if this is a career jump. She also goes into being a paraprofessional which means she didn’t have the education behind the job but had the experience and as a school, we certainly see that. As for accepting the job, “I feel like it’s a position that I see myself staying in long-term.”

Thankfully, Mrs.Cross absolutely loves people and especially us, the students. This is exactly why she applied for the job.

Mrs. Cross is a well-known parent in which she often times holds cookouts and team dinners at her home. She also makes peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for the boys’ basketball team when some of them haven’t eaten. Most athletes think of her as a second mom. As she graduated from Rogers High School as a Golden Hawk, she feels as if this is her family. She also has gained a feeling of commitment and loyalty to the school she graduated from. She makes the comment, “I love being back here, but it is definitely weird calling my former teachers by their first names.”

Challenges come with any job, which means Mrs. Cross comes across these every day. “Not gonna lie! Sometimes when I am on a deadline to get something done it can get a bit overwhelming.” Ironically, she has started this job during the middle of winter which means plenty of phone calls to go around. A lot of parents call their kids in sick as well as for flu appointments. “The job definitely keeps me on my toes because every day brings new challenges. I love to stay busy and this job definitely meets that criteria! Time management, good communication, and multitasking is a necessity!” Mrs.Cross has learned so much in just a few months of taking on this new job.

This wolf takes on many challenges that she is determined to overcome. As for the adjustment, she says, “the biggest adjustment for me is actually working outside of my home. This is only my second year working and it was a huge adjustment for my husband and kids. Now that I am working even later.” Her kids are multi-sport athletes and begin to explain how “things get a little hairy when it comes to dinner, practice drop-offs, and pickups.” As she is known for being a great chef, cereal is a really popular dinner choice because of such a tight schedule with work and her children.

As we continue to watch this wolf progress, she continues to get better and better at the new challenge she has taken on as being our school secretary. A lot of students were worried that the new secretary would be someone mean and intolerable. We all had huge expectations because Mrs. Holt set the bar high. Thankfully, Mrs. Cross is very nice and well known, so we have no problem adjusting to her switch.