A journey to recovery

Kelsey Gullick, Contributing Editor

High school athletes face many obstacles. The big one: injuries. As a junior, Jovaun Jones started every game. He is an all around player with great skills, good stamina, and a great attitude for the game.The 6’3 guard took a fall on the court during the summer team camp for Wyoming. He fractured his Tibial Plateau and needed immediate surgery.
As his recovery went on, he had a hard time sitting and watching his team take wins and losses. However, that didn’t stop him from guiding his team along the way giving direction and encouraging speeches before each game.
Now that senior year has rolled around, this star was anxious for the day he would be able to play again. January 2nd, after the huge loss of Senior Grant Nabors to injury, Jovaun was put back on the court. The game was against rival team Grandville, and Joe took this opportunity to shine scoring 19 points. “I felt very strong about my first game even if we lost,” he said.
While in recovery Jovaun had lots of time to build muscle and gain techniques, which is paying off now.
Sometimes after a major injury, players continue to feel pain. Thankfully, it’s not the case with Jovaun. However, it does get sore. He ices it and makes sure that it is in great working condition. The pace for practice is much faster than the actual game. For Jovaun, everything slows down in the game, so he doesn’t try to think about the injury.
His coach and teammates have been encouraging. When he first had surgery, many teammates were waiting in the hospital room which made him feel better. “It feels good and I’m excited,” he said. “It’s a relief to be back and being able to play again.”
Jones goes above and beyond for his team whether it comes to high fiving them after a three or telling them “next time” at a fault. His teammates are happy to have him back.“it’s good to have you back.” This goes to show the positive vibes Jovaun has brought to his team. As soon as he was cleared Coach Vander Klay told him to do whatever he thinks he can do.
For Joe, that means taking the Wolves far into the post-season. “A personal goal would be to lead my team as far as possible in the tournament,” he said.