Is Prom Worth it?

Jacqueline Velasco, Contributing Writer

Throughout the history of high school, prom has been considered one of the most important events of a high schoolers’ experience. But is prom really worth it? A select group of girls begins making plans ahead of time stressing out over the smallest things. Personally, I don’t see why they stress about a broad amount of things such as: what dress they want to wear, how their hair will be styled, what corsages and most importantly, who is taking them. I believe the biggest worry would be wanting the right someone to ask you to prom.

Everyone wants to make prom a night to remember, but are you ready to spend hundreds of dollars for a “perfect” night? Going through all of the stress and drama once is enough. Not only do you have to overcome all of the problems one year, but you must repeat it again the next. Personally, I think going through all the stress for prom one time will give you the experience you need. But, wanting to attend prom two times seems like a lot of money for one night, and that in my perspective isn’t worth it.

Prom is no doubt an expensive event for the average high school student. Setting aside the common expenses, the average amount of money girls spend on prom is significantly higher than the average that a male would spend. On average, Prom dresses range from 100 to up to 600 dollars, not including the amount of money that they have to spend on getting their hair, nails, and makeup done. The average cost of nails can range from 40-50 dollars! Some girls are lucky enough to know how to do their own makeup, but for others, they spend about 35-45 dollars on getting their makeup done. This can be stressful as girls strive to find the right person to do their makeup correctly.

Yes, being a male also has its own expenses regarding prom, but they don’t come near having to do as much as females do. Males really just have to worry about buying a corsage, renting a tux, and their shoes. On an average, a tux is around 150-160 dollars. Now if you’d like to go overboard and get a designer tux you’d be spending about 400-500 dollars. Knowing the kids at our school, what really matters to them is designer brand. Considering the fact that the males have to pay for the corsages, which really isn’t a lot, it would come out to be 25 dollars. Now if you want something more special then, of course, it’s going to be a little more expensive.

Not only is Prom financially stressful, but for many, it can be emotionally stressful as well. Picture yourself waiting for the guy you like to ask you to prom, just waiting for that perfect moment to come, then out of nowhere you see him asking out someone else. Many girls are sensitive and little things like this can be something big for them. Not only can females be affected this way, but males can as well. A guy can be planning the perfect promposal just to find out the girl who he was so anxious to ask was taken by a peer.

We all know how excited some might be to dance their butts off on prom night. But have you guys realized how we can’t listen to the music we want? There’s probably like five good songs they play throughout the night. I guess this is one of the con’s we can talk about.

Another con is that so many people in one room would make it get so hot and musty. No one really likes that. So the only question is, is prom really worth it? Is it worth dressing up and looking spiffy? For you to end up sweaty and not really have fun?

I think dressing up is a beautiful thing, and all the time and effort we put into looking spectacular that night is a lot of work. But personally, I don’t think prom is worth going more than once. The amount of money you spend just for one night isn’t worth it. I personally will only be attending my senior year prom. Don’t get me wrong, prom is something we should all attend at least once!