Do Violent Video Games make People Violent?

Riley Wiser, Contributing Editor

It is in common thought that violent video games can have an impact on a developing child or any person in general. Rather if this is true or not is still up for debate with one side claiming violent video games is just another way to pass time and does not influence the player in any way in real life. But the other side would beg to differ.

A lot of us have heard of Grand theft auto before, any of the games in this series is known for its senseless violence and its almost absurd action, but could someone really believe that this could influence a stable minded person to commit murder? ZME science.com would claim that games like these would have a level of influence on the player, referring to a total amount of 300 studies from various sources that have leaned in the direction that violent games would affect the brain. The only problem is that a large majority of these studies are filled with inconsistencies and errors in their conduction of the experiment.

One point made on ProCon.org is that the percentage of kids who have played M-Rated games in elementary school have gotten in more fights then ones who have not played M-rated games. Leaving it to the interpretation that the kids playing M-Rated games have caused this behavior. But at the same time, a article founded on the same website cites that even though the selling of violent video games have risen 204% from 1994 to 2014 that juvenile crime has also fallen 37%. With juvenile murders also going down 76% between 1994 and 2014 it looks to contradict the other data.

As the article put it. “Many studies failed to control for factors that contribute to children becoming violent, such as family history and mental health, plus most studies do not follow children over long periods of time.”(procon.org) The idea that a violent video game could make someone violent makes you wonder why haven’t more kids acted out in violence or attempted to commit a school shooting when a majority of kids have played a violent video game.

In the court battle of Brown Vs. Entertainment Merchants Association it was stated that video games could not effect a stable minded person in a negative way. Although It is found as a general consensus with 69% of parents and 90% of pediatricians that violent video games cause violent behavior in kids.

In personal opinion, I must say that violent video games do not make people more violent. I often play my share of violent games and have played with a great number of people. Although they might get angry in game or at the game, they don’t take that anger or any of the violence from the game to real life and know the difference between video game and real life very well. In Fact, some of the most relaxed people I know play games like Call Of Duty and things like this. But a violent video game might have an effect on less mentally stable persons but at that point, any kind of violent media could affect them.

But no matter what the opinion is on video games, they will be around for better or worst. And, will most likely continue to be a thriving industry and community.

1 Comment

One Response to “Do Violent Video Games make People Violent?”

1. minecraft_mast3r69 on February 9th, 2018 11:24 am

Of course, this will affect someone whose mental state is compromised. But for the everyday person, they do not affect you. Yes, sometimes you get mad because someone does something stupid. If someone came up to you and flicked you you’d be annoyed too same concept. But I notice they actually cause me to be less stressed with school and other things on my mind. Sometimes even being depressed and playing violent video games do not want to make me want to hurt someone but actually makes me happy having fun with friends in the process. I feel games are to blame for everything but with a huge portion of people playing these games to say they are bad because of a few bad apples is totally wrongly examined. Say about a couple thousand have a link but thats between millions of people.

[Reply]

• Do Violent Video Games make People Violent?

News and Features

Absurdly Absurd

• News and Features

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2018

News and Features

About introverts…

News and Features

SAT Practice Question of the Day

News and Features

The Reoccurring Wolf

News and Features

The Complicated Being Of One Who Chooses To Be Complicated: A Sebastian Blum Life Story

News and Features

Does Music Help Students Focus?

News and Features

GOALS For 2018!

• News and Features

A Year

News and Features

The Winter Ball brings enchantment to the season