Why students should take French class

Rayne Vieau-Parfait, Contributing Editor

French classes at Wyoming High School have a lot to offer. It’s not too late to start if students chose Spanish for your two-year language at the junior high because they’re bringing French one to the high school! Native Spanish speakers should try it too! Mme. Wood encourages multilingualism as a way to further yourself in today’s global world. Mme. Wood is the only French teacher in our district, and she is amazing at what she does. Many of her students recommend it and had nothing but good things to say about the class.
   “I love French class! Mme.Wood is so helpful and understanding when it comes to her students and their learning and lives. She’s an amazing teacher who really cares about everybody in her class,” said Stephanie Bushman.
    Mme. Wood’s lessons vary from numbers to full-blown sentences about food or the weather in French one. Her favorite lesson to teach in the class is the one about food. She brings in France’s version of lemonade and chocolate covered cookies! She goes as far as to have a very large feast with all of her students. Students have also said that the food lesson was their favorite, along with weather and items.
   “My favorite lesson in the class so far has been learning about the food and French culture!” beamed Stephanie. Mme. Wood brings in croissants for her students every Friday.  As an act of kindness, she makes sure every one of her students who are hungry in the morning gets breakfast. She buys hot chocolate, oatmeal, and even some soups. She also has fruit you can pick from a basket on her desk if you’re only slightly hungry. By showing this level of care to her students, she has created a motherly bond between them and herself.
   “Mme. Wood is a such an exquisite person. She is an Alpha Wolf when it comes to teaching and just being a wonderful person overall. I love her,” said Stephanie.
Students don’t just learn about speaking French in her class, they learn about the culture as well. She likes to put these lessons of culture into field trips. For example, in 2019 she is going to take several students to France for a cultural lesson as the ultimate lesson in French culture.  She also takes her students and their families to the musical Les Misérables, also known as  Les Mis, She hopes to plan a trip to the Chicago Art Institute, where students will view actual French impressionist artworks and eat lunch at a real French creperie.
   Still not convinced? There is still one crucial reason to take French.
   “It can help with admission to college in the global world,” Mme.Wood said. “It will also help you get a good job in life. Employers will be more likely to hire you if you are bilingual or trilingual.”
   Mme. Wood wants students to be multilingual so they could be more successful in their careers and lives. She’s an amazing French teacher who teaches an amazing class full of interesting things to learn. Students should try French class today!