‘Tis The Season

Menelisia McGee sets up the offense for the Wolves against Union.

Kelsey Gullick, Contributing Writer

Menelisia McGee, four year returning senior, starts her last first high school game off to a great start leading the team with 27 points against Union High School. McGee, a 5-2 guard, worked hard last season to earn the title of all-conference honorable mention. Before each game you’ll see this star working hard in the gym to prepare for her game. There’s a reason for this,“I get very anxious,” she said.

This varsity veteran plans to “put her team on her back” and go all the way to districts and be the best leader she can be. Senior classmate, Jovaunn Jones, says ”She’s very crafty and she has quick moves, quick crossovers and her jump shot has improved a lot. She also has very creative moves and she’s a smart player.” As a freshman McGee started on varsity and averaged 11-12 points a game. Her plan this year; to win and play every game hard right alongside her teammates.

Leading point guard, no breaks, against Calvin Christian talks about this experience being “mentally tough.” The varsity girls didn’t have two of their starters Aniyah Jones and Kayla Hinton. “We only won by eight points due to not having very many players or subs.” McGee explains that this challenge was tough, but she could accomplish it.

As for college, she doesn’t yet have a plan. However, she plans to attend four years of college and attend whatever college she is most interested and accepted in. She has major interests in Western or the University of Illinois. Sadly, this all star player doesn’t plan on going pro, but for the next few years her strategy is going to be improvement.

McGee hit her highest when playing her first last highschool game against Union. “ I feel like that was my best first game, but I could’ve hit 40, however I will accomplish it this season.” This player described in two words; competitive and skilled. When asked how she felt about the season ending, “I feel sad and happy at the same time. It’s good to see how much I have improved throughout 4 years of high school.” As you can see, she tracks her improvement and plans to develop over her last season. Payton Harley makes a comment on her game, “she’s a very quick and shifty and has a high IQ even though she’s small she is very strong.”
Menelisia is humble and observes the quality of her team. “They’re very athletic and fast. We have the ability to play good defense. As for injuries, I feel like that’s something that we’ll get passed.”

As for the rest of the season she says,”we’ll kill them, we’ll dominate, and we’ll execute on both possessions offense and defense.”